Dear Eve: From your description I suspect you have a dog with chondrodysplasia, i.e., a “dwarf”. I’d love to look at the pictures but my computer does not support “google drive”. Can you put the photos somewhere more accessible, please? – Deb Bennett

From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Eve Rannamäe
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2018 3:40 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ZOOARCH] Anomalous dog femur

Dear colleagues,

On behalf of Stefan Hartmann from the University of Cologne, I'm asking about an anomalous dog bone from an excavation in the region of the great thermae at the Colonia Ulpia Traiana near Xanten.

"Among the material was the right femur of a dog which had a conspicuous dished bend towards the front of the bone. Because of the extreme curve it was thought it to be the result of a pathological transformation, maybe a healed fracture. But we couldn't identify any traces of a bone fracture. I had a vet take a look at the bone, who even radiographed it but also couldn't find any signs for a pathological alteration."

I've uploaded the two pictures here <https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_LpM04c6QA1NDzgmn9UNt-4dmGpP7pnk?usp=sharing>  in Google Drive. Please let me know if you think of any reason for this anomaly, so I could forward this discussion to Stefan.

Thank you!

Best wishes,

--

Dr Eve Rannamäe

Marie Skłodowska-Curie Experienced Researcher

BioArCh, University of York

United Kingdom

  _____

To unsubscribe from the ZOOARCH list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=ZOOARCH <https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=ZOOARCH&A=1> &A=1