This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message.
---------------

Professor Eric Kindel of the Typography Department here at the University of University says:

“If this is indeed a metal plate for printing, it may be a plate for an offset lithographic press. In these instances, the image/ink on the plate is first ‘offset’ onto a (usually rubber) ‘blanket’; from the blanket, the image/ink is then printed onto paper. Thus, the image is ‘right-reading’ on the metal plate, reversed on the blanket, and then right-reading again on the paper. // So, just a guess, since the image doesn’t look much like a typical plate for offset lithography (they are usually zinc, thus silvery), but perhaps plates from the 60s looked this way (i.e. brownish) — though it’s also possible that some kind of preservative was put on the plate, or some discolouration has occurred. The object may need to be removed from the frame for closer inspection to make a more precise identification.”

I can put you in touch with him off list if you’d like to get in touch.

Best wishes,
Ollie

Dr Oliver Douglas
Curator of MERL Collections, The Museum of English Rural Life
University of Reading, Redlands Road, Reading, RG1 5EX

t (direct): +44 (0) 118 378 8669    t (main): +44 (0) 118 378 8660
merl.reading.ac.uk/<https://merl.reading.ac.uk/>
Follow on Academia.edu<http://reading.academia.edu/OliverDouglas>
Follow on Twitter<https://twitter.com/OllieDouglas>

[small secondary]