Good afternoon

Would anyone care to share their disposal procedures please?  In particular relating to the process of verifying records to be disposed of.  Many years ago we gave up asking departments for authorisation to destroy their records that were past the retention date since they either didn't reply or wanted to keep them for longer without good cause.  We therefore take the Retention Schedules as authorisation, but not in all cases e.g. legal files, and rely on departments to inform us of any records subject to legal holds etc.  This system has worked efficiently without any problems but our Internal Audit Team have queried our procedures regarding authorisation and  regarding verification of the physical records to be destroyed i.e. someone double checking that the correct records are being destroyed.

I'm particularly concerned that if Audit's desire to expand the process is implemented it would be a nightmare to implement in the digital environment where retention periods are applied to document types in accordance with our Retention Schedules.

Many thanks
Nia

Cyngor Sir Gar
Carmarthenshire County Council