Archives and Records Association, UK & Ireland

Annual Conference:  28 to 30 August 2019, Leeds, UK

Call for Papers: ‘Recordkeeper 3.0’

The Archives and Records Association, UK & Ireland invites proposals for its 2019 Conference to be held in Leeds between 28 and 30 August 2019. Drawing on one of the sub-themes from the 2018 Conference  - ‘People looking after records’ - we will be concentrating on our profession with the title RECORDKEEPER 3.0. This presents the opportunity for us to continue the debate on diversity in our sector, look at where we are now, and ask what archivists, conservators, and records managers will be doing in the future. We will also revisit the #ARAGlasgowManifesto and look to showcase what the ARA Northern Region has to offer.

Our venue for 2019 will be the Queens Hotel – built for the London, Midland and Scottish Railway in the 1930s, it’s a Grade II listed building full of art deco period detail and character. The hotel is right next to the main railway station in Leeds, and in the heart a vibrant city centre.

RECORDKEEPER 3.0

There will be the usual range of sessions encompassing archives and records, conservation, digital preservation and records management. And as we did in Glasgow, within the overall ‘Recordkeeper 3.0’ theme there will be a specific topic for each day which will allow us to explore more specific areas and issues.

Our Careers

What attributes does the 21st century recordkeeper need? As well as the traditional theoretical knowledge and skills, what about others such as coding, legal, advocacy and entrepreneurship? And how might Artificial Intelligence change the way that we do our jobs? Do current models of training met these requirements as well as providing appropriate pathways for those who want to become recordkeepers in the future?

Our Profession

What is the role of professional bodies? What does ARA do and how might we encourage more people to be involved? Are there risks to de-professionalisation? How to we support recordkeepers in their daily work? What about the ethical code under which we operate?

Our Workplace

What is our role within organisations? How do we make the case for recordkeeping? How are we affected by financial cuts and resource constraints? And what about our pay and the prevalence of short-term contracts?

These questions are merely suggestive of potential areas that could be included. Now it’s over to you! Why not submit a proposal on something that you would like to have debated at #ARA2019.

PROPOSALS

You can participate in the following ways:

In forming your proposal:

Contributions are welcomed from across the UK and Ireland, and from colleagues in the global recordkeeping community.

HOW DO I SUBMIT A PROPOSAL?

You can make your conference submissions online using this link: https://app.oxfordabstracts.com/stages/828/submission

Please contact [log in to unmask] if you require any assistance or would like to informally discuss your proposal.

KEY DATES

The deadline for submissions is Sunday 16 December 2018

Notification invitations to speak will be confirmed in the week beginning 11 February 2019

The programme will be published on Monday 18 February 2019 and conference registration will open

Final presentations must be emailed to conference organisers by Monday 19 August 2019

EXPENSES

All speakers will receive free conference registration for the day on which they are presenting. We are unable to pay accommodation costs, but speakers will be reimbursed travel expenses up to a maximum of £100

Mike Anson
Conference Chair

---

Conference Committee

Archives and Records Association (UK & Ireland)

www.archives.org.uk

www.learnaboutarchives.ie

www.communityarchives.org.uk

ARA Annual Conference 2019

The Queens Hotel, Leeds

28 August – 30 August

Prioryfield House

20 Canon Street

Taunton

Somerset

TA1 1SW

The Information contained in this email is confidential. It is for the

exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) and not for circulating

without agreement. If you are not the intended recipient(s) you are

hereby notified that any circulation or copying of this email is

strictly prohibited. Any opinions expressed may be those of the

individual and not necessarily the Archives and Records Association (UK & Ireland).

Charity Registered in England and Wales Number 1041063

Charity Registered in Scotland Number SC041671

Registered Company Limited by Guarantee in England and Wales Number 2969472

Registered Office: Ground Floor, Blackbrook Gate 1, Blackbrook

Business Park, Taunton, Somerset TA1 2PX

To view the list archives go to: https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK To unsubscribe from this list, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the words UNSUBSCRIBE RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK For any technical queries re JISC please email [log in to unmask] For any content based queries, please email [log in to unmask]