From: Jack Whitehead <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 2018/11/09 16:54 (GMT+02:00)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Ethical issues as action researchers

Dear Jane - good to hear from you, but concerned about your experiences with an Ethics Committee.

Here is an ethics form that went through last year at the University of Cumbria from Arianna Briganti - one of my doctoral supervisions. Ari has given her permission to share it:

http://www.actionresearch.net/writings/ari/arianonethics14-02-17.pdf

The links at the bottom, to the consent form and participant information sheet, are not live, but I can send these to you if you would like them.

I have been interested for years in the unethical behaviour of ethics committees. My interest began with Geoff Suderman Gladwell's experience. Geoff analysed his experiences in his Masters Dissertation on:

 The Ethics of Personal, Narrative, Subjective Research. Geoff graduated from Brock University in October, 2001. You can access this at http://www.actionresearch.net/writings/values/gsgma.PDF

I think Geoff's Abstract will speak directly to your concerns:

Abstract

In my work throughout the two years I have spent in a masters program, three themes
with respect to research and teaching have continually emerged.  These themes are the
personal, the subjective and the narrative.  When I proposed a project to the Senate Research
Ethics Board of Brock University (SREB), it was turned down.  The nature of the questions
asked by the SREB caused me to reflect upon the nature of the ethical framework that underlies
its existence.  In this project, I examine the nature of the Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical
Conduct for Research Involving Humans, the document that spawned the SREB.  I use
narratives from my personal experiences both in teaching and in theological education to explain
my reactions to the document and the implied world view.  I explain why my vision of research
and teaching is not compatible with that of the Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct
for Research Involving Humans, and I propose an ethical understanding based on the realities
of my understanding of research and teaching.

"This e-mail is subject to our Disclaimer, to view click http://www.dut.ac.za/disclaimer"

Disclaimer