Many thanks Lesley, that paper looks perfect and I hope you won't mind if I share it with our Brookes panel.
Re. AR studies, yes, I did my own action research doctorate with Jack Whitehead at Bath, and there were no issues at all with the Bath Univeristy panel. That same project, however, at Brookes entails up to 30 pages of detailed paperwork. So it is the diffference between institutional approaches that concerns me, and I hope will give me a chance to re-educate our Ethics panel that is definitely over-zealous on this matter (if not actually out of touch)..
With thanks and good wishes,
Jane