Dear Jane

Agree. Unnecessary red tape demotivate researchers.  I think we need to define or redefine ethical research. If a research complies with relevant regulations, applied code of practices and relevant accreditation bodies or association standards in addition to researcher's honest references / biblography than the research may be considered as an ethical research.

Example of regulations are date protection, freedom of information, equal opportunities etc.

This definition can be used as a research criteria. i.e. does research contradict any relevant regulation, code of practice or relevant standards?

Thanks