Hi, Jane. I experienced the same blocks to Living Theory research by the
ethical review board - Geoff was one of my students in the first cohort
group that went through the process at Brock University in St Catherines,
Ontario, Canada. Over the years, the board became more educated on the
different issues with self-study research and stopped asking (as they did
with another of the Master's students), "Could you assure us that the
students will be returned to the condition in which you found them?" And
this to a teacher of senior high school students!

One of the approaches that I took was to use a successful application as a
model for the other students to follow and that seemed to work well.

I do believe (now that I have some perspective on this and am not sharing
the students' frustration with the inane questions from the board) that it
is a matter of education of the reviewers on the board, given that most, if
not all, of them came through the research process from a positivist and
quantitative perspective.

Love, Jackie

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 4:27 PM Jane Spiro <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Jack,
> Thank you so much for this example, and I am  building up a strong case of
> other institutional responses to the ethics of studying one's own practice;
> alongside the testimonies of passionate and principled researchers such as
> Geoff Gladwell.  It is interesting to see if and how
> practitioner-researchers can influence institutional ethical panels -
> whether they/we work within these panels, alongside them, or are needing to
> challenge their assumptions (as in this Gladwell example). and change
> them.  Our ethics panel has given me the opportunity to show how other
> institutions resolve this challenge so I am putting a paper together -
> would be really grateful to share with the practitioner-researcher
> community for comments/additions when I do get there!
> With warm wishes and thanks to this kindred community.
> Jane
>
> On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 at 14:54, Jack Whitehead <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear Jane - good to hear from you, but concerned about your experiences
>> with an Ethics Committee.
>>
>> Here is an ethics form that went through last year at the University of
>> Cumbria from Arianna Briganti - one of my doctoral supervisions. Ari has
>> given her permission to share it:
>>
>> http://www.actionresearch.net/writings/ari/arianonethics14-02-17.pdf
>>

>> The links at the bottom, to the consent form and participant information
>> sheet, are not live, but I can send these to you if you would like them.
>>
>> I have been interested for years in the unethical behaviour of ethics
>> committees. My interest began with Geoff Suderman Gladwell's experience.
>> Geoff analysed his experiences in his Masters Dissertation on:
>>
>>  The Ethics of Personal, Narrative, Subjective Research. Geoff graduated
>> from Brock University in October, 2001. You can access this at
>> http://www.actionresearch.net/writings/values/gsgma.PDF
>>
>> I think Geoff's Abstract will speak directly to your concerns:
>>

>> Abstract
>>
>> In my work throughout the two years I have spent in a masters program,
>> three themes
>> with respect to research and teaching have continually emerged.  These
>> themes are the
>> personal, the subjective and the narrative.  When I proposed a project to
>> the Senate Research
>> Ethics Board of Brock University (SREB), it was turned down.  The nature
>> of the questions
>> asked by the SREB caused me to reflect upon the nature of the ethical
>> framework that underlies
>> its existence.  In this project, I examine the nature of the Tri-Council
>> Policy Statement: Ethical
>> Conduct for Research Involving Humans, the document that spawned the
>> SREB.  I use
>> narratives from my personal experiences both in teaching and in
>> theological education to explain
>> my reactions to the document and the implied world view.  I explain why
> [...]

Jacqueline D. Delong Ph.D.
Educational Consultant
235 Grand River St.N.
Paris ON N3L 2N6
(519) 442-3311
(519) 770-8081

Website: http://www.spanglefish.com/ActionResearchCanada

See the Educational Journal of Living Theories (EJOLTS) at:
http://ejolts.net/ (for access to papers) and
http://ejolts.org/ (for access to open review and community space)