***We apologise for any cross-posting***

UCL Press is delighted to announce a brand new open access book that may be of interest to list subscribers: Musical Cities: Listening to Urban Design and Planning by Sara Adhitya. Download it free from http://bit.ly/2PDkWPW

Musical Cities: Listening to Urban Design and Planning
Sara Adhitya
Download free: http://bit.ly/2PDkWPW

Musical Cities represents an innovative approach to scholarly research and dissemination. Available as both an online interactive edition, and a free downloadable PDF with links to explore multimedia content,  it explores the rhythms of our cities, and the role they play in our everyday urban lives, through the use of sound and music.

Sara Adhitya first discusses why we should listen to urban rhythms in order to design more liveable and sustainable cities, before demonstrating how we can do so through various acoustic communication techniques. Using audio-visual examples, Musical Cities takes the ‘listener’ on an interactive journey,   revealing how sound and music can be used to represent, compose, perform and interact with the city. Through case studies of urban projects developed in Paris, Perth, Venice and London, Adhitya demonstrates how the power of music, and the practice of listening, can help us to compose more accessible, inclusive, engaging, enjoyable, and ultimately more sustainable cities.

Download free: http://bit.ly/2PDkWPW