The government recommendation for Vitamin D is 10 micro grams per day for at risk groups and for all adults from September to March when light levels in this country are insufficient.  At risk groups include workers who do not get exposure to natural light while at work.  See here for more information https://www.gov.uk/government/news/phe-publishes-new-advice-on-vitamin-d

All the best, Anne Ellis

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Vivienne Mulligan
Sent: 22 November 2018 19:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Vit D supplement for miners and SAD's lighting

SAD lamp cannot do any harm, I use one at home as I work from home 4 days a week, I like it.

The vitamin D thing, the recommendation here is for everyone to supplement but by how much? Personally I think people should be tested initially, get their replacement and then it's imperative to stay on a maintainence dose which will vary with the individual. The initial replacement dose is mostly prescription strength so this has cost implication. Personally for miners I think that would be a great initiative by employer but there's the cost involved with initial bloods. Are they aware of this? Supplementing too quickly affects calcium deposits so it must be done with some sort of medical guidance. Zero point in just doing it five days a week thought. It's all or nothing.

Best wishes, Vivienne