I'm corresponding with a colleague who is writing on the Carmelite Rule ("formula vitae" between 1206 and 1214, "regula bullata" revised lightly and approved by Innocent IV in 1247).

He is unimpressed with the provision in par. 11 which provides for hermits who are literate to recite the canonical hours "with the clerics", and for those who are not to substitute Pater nosters (50 for Vigils, 15 for Vespers, 7 for each of the other hours -- he calls it "a legislative mess" from which no good could come. However, it seems to me a natural resolution of the situation of a community which contained both literate and illiterate members. I remember something very similar for the contemporaneous hermits of Giovanni Bono in central Italy. Giovanni himself, being illiterate, never attended the Office in church, but performed his own prayers and prostrations before an icon in his cell, opening a window so he could hear the chant from the church (it's somewhere in the lengthy acta of his canonisation process, but I can't find the reference now). Interestingly, the Carmelite Rule does not actually specify whether the Office should be said in church or in the cell.

I seem to recall that Peter Damien expected his hermits to learn the entire Psalter by heart, even if they were otherwise illiterate, but I can't find that reference either.

Does anyone know of bibliography on the use of Pater nosters as a substitute for the canonical hours in the 12th-13th centuries? Or distinctions made between literate and non-literate religious?

Very grateful for any pointers. -- Paul

--
Paul Chandler, O.Carm.
Holy Spirit Seminary  |  PO Box 18 (487 Earnshaw Road)  |  Banyo Qld 4014  |  Australia