From: An informal open list set up by UKSG - Connecting the Information Community [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paul Stainthorp
Sent: 13 November 2018 13:23
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [lis-e-resources] GDPR and personal accounts

Hi all.

Like Caroline, we have a number of queries about this at UWE Bristol which we are tackling through an internal GDPR-third parties working group. (There was a similar query on this mailing list on 7th September 2018.)

We are similarly concerned about the ‘grey area’ where – rather than our sharing student personal data with Service Providers via federation attributes – users are instead encouraged or in some cases *required* to create a personalised login before they can access the service; whether the University’s effectively compelling the user to supply their personal details to that third party affects our responsibility secure a data processing agreement with that SP.

I contacted Jisc Collections and Eduserv (Chest) about this a couple of months ago to ask whether there was any work going on to normalise GDPR compliance for e-resources provided via consortium licence agreements. Both replied to say that while they could advise on situations where they themselves are handling user data but not necessarily (yet) on data transfer to a third party SP.

I’d be very interested in any work going on in this area.

Paul

Paul Stainthorp
Collections Librarian (e-Resources)

Library Services