Good afternoon Wise Advisory Folks!

We want to retire one of our 2 existing frontier-squid servers (which
happens to be a VM) & add its function to an existing real-hardware server
that has 'spare capacity' to do this function; but we're figuring to just
setup the old name as a DNS alias to the server taking over this function.

(since the name is embedded in clients that use it a squid)

We know the existing frontier-squid is monitored, & is in the GOC-DB for
our site. So we'd change the IP address registered for the squid server in
GOC-DB, but hope that ensuring the DNS alias of the old name does resolve
to a valid live frontier-squid server (just with a different real name)
would work / be fine / etc for GOC-DB, & for squid monitoring.

Do you Wise Advisory Folks think this would work / be ok?
Do other sites do this (or something like it) too & it works ok?

Grateful for advice!

Winnie Lacesso / Bristol University Particle Physics Computing Systems
HH Wills Physics Laboratory, Tyndall Avenue, Bristol, BS8 1TL, UK