Interesting.

At a very broad level it can be said that between £40 and £50 million (back of envelope calculation undertaken for a presentation earlier this year) has been invested in the enhancement of SMRs/HERs between 1990 and 2010 – mostly from EH (EUS, UAD, HLC, NMP Coastal surveys etc) but also HLF, the EU and of course Local Authorities.  As it can pretty confidently be said that the current planning and archaeology system would not exist in its current form without that investment, the value of this investment in the long term is very high indeed (between 10-1 and 100-1).

The overall point is that it is probably not necessary to be too detailed/specific as the ratios (as with Ben’s example from the natural environment in Scotland) are clearly very high.   Producing a range of such metrics (e.g. past investment, current running costs, numbers of records, number of archaeological projects and their value  [given that every project will have consulted a HER]) could make a strong case?

Stewart Bryant

From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Willett, Elaine (NE)
Sent: 21 November 2018 10:37
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Value of an HER

This sounds like an exercise that could very usefully be fed into the development of a ‘cultural capital’ model by DCMS (with HE and others involved), which is intended to sit alongside the existing models of ‘natural capital’ accounting.

Might be worth contacting Hannah Fluck at Historic England?

Elaine Willett

Historic Environment Senior Adviser (Area 5 - East Midlands)

Please note: I work compressed hours, typically 7am-5pm from Monday to Thursday with Friday normally being my non-working day.

Address:  Natural England, Apex Court, City Link, Nottingham.  NG2 4LA

Tel: 0300 060 2898

Mob: 07775 030813

Teleconference: 0330 606 8753 (or 0800 073 0694 from a landline) and enter this access code when prompted – 5954747803 #

Email: [log in to unmask]

Follow the East Midlands on Twitter - @NEEastMidlands

www.gov.uk/natural-england

We are here to secure a healthy natural environment for people to enjoy, where wildlife is protected and England’s traditional landscapes are safeguarded for future generations.