Nick,

Very quick response but essentially when we were doing the HLC and EUS
projects we included all of our districts and boroughs as stakeholders and
invited them to our meetings or even had specific meetings with them to
talk about referencing HLC and EUS (and Historic Farmstead
Characterisation) in their local plans. I think nearly all of them have
done this in Warwickshire and Solihull but it did take a bit of work.
Here is an example from Stratford-on-Avon District Council, look at p60-61,
note also a reference to the HER (
https://www.stratford.gov.uk/templates/server/document-relay.cfm?doc=173518&name=SDC%20CORE%20STRATEGY%202011%202031%20July%202016.pdf
)
So the relevant text would be:
"The Warwickshire Historic Landscape Characterisation (HLC) project maps
the present historic character of the County’s landscape and provides a
good understanding of the historic landscape resource and its capacity for
change. This information has been used to assist in assessing the
environmental impact of proposals through the development plan and planning
application process. A similar study has also been undertaken in the
Cotswolds AONB, including that part which falls within Stratford District.
An English Heritage funded project, 'An
Extensive Urban Survey for Warwickshire' was undertaken by Warwickshire
County Council between 2010 and 2014. The results of this project
contribute to our understanding of the development and character of various
towns and villages across the District and will be used to inform the
assessment of the likely impacts of proposed developments on the historic
environment of the District"
Also
"Development Management Considerations
(1) Where development is likely to impact on heritage assets, applicants
will need to assess the significance of a heritage asset and take into
account local information, as appropriate, provided by design guides,
Conservation Area Appraisals, the Warwickshire Historic Landscape
Characterisation Project, the West Midlands Farmsteads and Landscapes
Project, the Warwickshire Extensive Urban Study and the Warwickshire
Historic Environment Record. Applicants must demonstrate through their
supporting documents how the proposed  development would preserve and where
appropriate enhance heritage assets. "

I can find some examples from our other districts and boroughs if you like.

However, this does not mean of course that it is effectively used or makes
a difference just that the hook is there.

Happy to talk more about how we did it over the phone or off forum if you
like.

Ben

*Ben Wallace*
*(Historic Environment Record Manager)*
BA (EU) Hons, MA, MCIfA

Warwickshire Historic Environment Record
Archaeological Information and Advice (AIA),
Landscape, Ecology and Historic Environment
Heritage and Environment,
Community Services,
Communities

Warwickshire County Council

Phone: 01926 41*2734*

Postal Address: Archaeological Information and Advice, Communities,
Warwickshire County Council, PO Box 43, Warwick CV34 4SX

Physical Address: Archaeological Information and Advice, Communities,
Warwickshire County Council, Barrack Street, Warwick CV34 4TH

e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Web:
http://heritage.warwickshire.gov.uk/archaeology/historic-environment-record/
         http://timetrail.warwickshire.gov.uk

Blog: http://warwickshireher.wordpress.com/

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 at 11:02, Nick Boldrini <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Folks
>

> I was at the ALGAO Urban Archaeology thing yesterday, and it seems like a
> number of people have managed to get their EUS and HLC into Local Plans.
>

> Was just wondering which of you have done that, and how you did it – ie
> what format is it in etc
>

> thanks
>

> best wishes
>

> Nick Boldrini
>
> Historic Environment Record Officer
>
> Archaeology Section
>
> Heritage, Landscapes and Design Team
>
> Planning Service
>
> Regeneration and Local Services
>
> Durham County Council
>
> County Hall
>
> Durham
>
> DH1 5UQ
>
> Direct: 03000 267008
>
> Switchboard: 03000 26 0000

> *http://www.durham.gov.uk/archaeology*
> <http://www.durham.gov.uk/archaeology>
>

> Follow us on Twitter @durhamcouncil
>
> Like us on facebook.com/durhamcouncil
>
> Follow us on linkedin.com/company/durham-county-council
>
> Follow us  on Instagram @durham_county_council
>

> ------------------------------
>
> *Customer Notice*
>
> *We have recently updated our terms and conditions for all our services,
> including making some important updates to our privacy notices. To find out
> more about how we collect, use, share and retain your personal data, visit:
> www.durham.gov.uk/dataprivacy <https://www.durham.gov.uk/dataprivacy> *
>

> Help protect our environment by only printing this email if absolutely
> necessary. The information it contains and any files transmitted with it
> are confidential and are only intended for the person or organisation to
> whom it is addressed. It may be unlawful for you to use, share or copy the
> information, if you are not authorised to do so. If you receive this email
> by mistake, please inform the person who sent it at the above address and
> then delete the email from your system. Durham County Council takes
> reasonable precautions to ensure that its emails are virus free. However,
> we do not accept responsibility for any losses incurred as a result of
> viruses we might transmit and recommend that you should use your own virus
> checking procedures.

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may
contain confidential, sensitive or personal information and should be
handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to
receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to
anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify
the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us, including
without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording and/or
monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.