Dear all,

Some of you may remember visiting the Crystal Palace Dinosaurs after our AGM in 2015. I'm forwarding this message on behalf of the Trustees.

All the best,

Giles

From: Jo Hellawell [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 23 November 2018 09:44
To: Jo Hellawell
Subject: Crystal Palace Dinosaurs

Sent on behalf of Adrian Lister to UK-based members

Dear Colleagues

I'm writing to ask for your help in preserving and making accessible a major attraction in south London. The Crystal Palace Dinosaurs are a series of some 30 life-size models of dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures in Crystal Palace Park. As well as attracting thousands of visitors a year, they have great historical importance as they date from the 1850, were designed by Sir Richard Owen and were the world's first life-size reconstructions of dinosaurs.

The Friends of Crystal Palace Dinosaurs is a charity whose mission is to enhance public access to these national treasures, and also to ensure their ongoing conservation.  Many of the models are located on an island in an artificial lake within the park. They are thereby isolated and our urgent current need is to build a bridge that will allow us to take up to 1,200 adults and children a year onto the island, as well as allowing us to undertake urgent conservation work.  The bridge has already been designed by award-winning architects Tonkin Liu, and we are now seeking to raise £76,000 to build it. For this we have an active crowd-funding campaign that is now just over half-way to its target, including a £30,000 pledge from the Mayor of London. We urgently need donations before the deadline of 17th December to ensure that the bridge is built and the dinosaurs' future secured.

More information, including images of the dinosaurs, are here:

https://cpdinosaurs.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Palace_Dinosaurs

and to make a pledge please visit:
 https://www.spacehive.com/bridges-to-the-crystal-palace-dinosaurs.

As with other crowd-funding ventures, you do not need to give any money at this stage, but only make a pledge to do so if we reach our target. If we fail to reach our target by 17th December, all pledges (including the Mayor's £30k!) will be null and void. That is why we urgently need your help!

Many thanks

Adrian Lister

Professor Adrian M Lister
Research Leader, Natural History Museum
Trustee, Friends of Crystal Palace Dinosaurs
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/our-science/departments-and-staff/staff-directory/adrian-lister.html

[https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/26/Mantellodon_in_Crystal_Palace_Park.jpg/800px-Mantellodon_in_Crystal_Palace_Park.jpg]
Two of the magnificent Crystal Palace dinosaurs - currently visible only from a distance and after 180 years exposed to the elements, urgently in need of conservation

Dr Jo Hellawell
Executive Officer
The Palaeontological Association

http://www.palass.org/
Twitter @ThePalAss

CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage mechanism.