Hello,
          If you are going to split the continuous covariate of interest ( into EV3 and EV4 ), then you must manually demean _before_ splitting. The contrasts given (3rd and 4th ) will test for the average co-efficient across EV3 and EV4. The interaction test is fine - but note that results for the previous contrasts must be interpreted very carefully in the presence of a significant interaction.

Kind Regards
Matthew
Dr Matthew Webster
FMRIB Centre