Hi Kostakis,
Yes - this is the normal behavior from the Siemens gre_field_mapping
sequence. The phase image is the difference image whereas the two
magnitudes correspond to those obtained from the first and second echo. You
can use either one, or calculate the average and use the resulting image
for subsequent processing.

-Niels

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 2:08 PM Kostakis Gkiatis <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Dear Matthew,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> After a bit of research, I found that during the acquisition it produces
> two magnitude images, one for each TE, and one phase image.
>
> The data was acquired on a Siemens Avanto Fit 1.5T scanner with software
> syngo MR E11.
>
> Can you verify that this behavior is normal?
>
> Is it ok if I choose one of the two images and continue the analyses
> normally?
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Kostakis
> ---
> Electrical and Computer Engineer
> Phd Candidate in Brain Imaging
> Medical Image Processing, Algorithms and Applications
> National Technical University of Athens
> 9,Iroon Polytechneiou str.,
> 157 73 Zografou Campus,
> Athens, GREECE
> phone:+30 210 772 3577
>

> On 02/11/2018 17:54, Matthew Webster wrote:
>
> Hello,
>   The old version of FSL would only read the first volume of the fieldmap
> ( it would effectively ignore the second ). The new version of FSL is
> specifically expecting a single 3D volume and will generate an error if the
> fieldmap is 4D.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Kind Regards
> Matthew
> --------------------------------
> Dr Matthew Webster
> FMRIB Centre
> John Radcliffe Hospital
> University of Oxford
>
> On 2 Nov 2018, at 11:10, Kostakis Gkiatis <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> You are correct. Fieldmap has two volumes, I'm so sorry I haven't seen it.
>
> I just noticed that while the phase image has one volume, the magnitude
> image that I input into Fsl_prepare_fieldmap has two volumes slightly
> different. This image is the raw image after the nifti transformation that
> I did with MRICron. Is this normal? Is it ok if I just take one of them and
> proceed the analysis?
>
> Now I am confused why the old version of FSL was working..
>
> Any insight would be helpful.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Kostakis
> ---
> Electrical and Computer Engineer
> Phd Candidate in Brain Imaging
> Medical Image Processing, Algorithms and Applications
> National Technical University of Athens
> 9,Iroon Polytechneiou str.,
> 157 73 Zografou Campus,
> Athens, GREECE
> phone:+30 210 772 3577
>

> On 02/11/2018 12:53, Matthew Webster wrote:
>
> Hi,
>      Can you confirm that the input fieldmap ( selected via the GUI ) only
> has 1 volume?
>
> Kind Regards
> Matthew
> Dr Matthew Webster
> [...]

Niels Bergsland
Integration Director / Research Assistant Professor of Neurology
Buffalo Neuroimaging Analysis Center / University at Buffalo
100 High St. Buffalo NY 14203