Hi Rod,

this was my reply to Ben:
1):  2) and 5) (it might be that tests for single enzyme deficiency at
birth, e.g. for PKU should continue, as over diagnosis and false positives,
and costs minimal)

2) no

Owen

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 9:19 PM Rod Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi Ben. It would be impossible to answer your very general questions, so
> perhaps some examples would help the discussion.
>
> I have never worked in the field of newborn screening but does anyone on
> the list have concerns about screening newborn babies for PKU?
>

> Cheers Rod
>
> > On 4/11/2018, at 7:03 AM, Djulbegovic, Benjamin <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I have changed the subject heading to allow easier tracking of this
> thread,  but in light of Owen’s, Vasiliy’s,  Kumara’s and other people’s
> posts, I’d like to poll this group on this issue. Can you please send me
> your reply to the following questions ( I will then collate the responses
> and share with the group):
> >
> > 1) should current screening programs* be abandoned?
> >
> > 1) yes ( all screening tests, adult and children population)
> > 2) yes ( all screening tests, adults only)
> > 3) yes ( all screening tests, children only)
> > 4) no ( none of the current screening tests should be abolished)
> > 5) no ( some screening tests should be left in place) ( if you want,
> specify which screening test you support:______________)
> >
> > 2) should an asymptomatic patient be offered diagnostic, screening or
> risk evaluation assessment?
> > 1) yes
> > 2) no
> >
> > * I realize that the “current screening programs” vary among the
> countries, so try to answer it the way you understand screening as
> practiced in your country.
> >
> > Thanks- i hope most people on the group answer the questions and not
> only vocal few ( <1% of us voice their opinion in the public forum like
> this, unfortunately)
> >
> > Ben
> >
> > Sent from my iPad (please excuse typos )
> >
> >> On Nov 3, 2018, at 5:34 AM, Vasiliy Vlassov <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> [Attention: This email came from an external source. Do not open
> attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails.]
> >>

> >> Dear Owen,
> >> thank you for the this last comment. Just one point. By the way you say
> that "... this in military interventions
> >> It is not correct. By the best estimates we have, the civilians to
> militants in human wars die as 1:1 for centuries. Claims that pricesion
> weapon is not precision in sense it kills more civilians are not supported
> y evidence.
> >> VVV

> EBM, broadly speaking, is logical empiricism (Howick, 2011),  and this is
> based on the assumption that the human can know the world and him or
> herself through emprical observation, and therefore can be fully self aware
> and therefore capable of making fully free and independent decisions.
> However, by contrast, our beliefs are constructed for us, through our
> ‘reason and imagination’ (Henriques, 1984) within limits set by capitalist
> relations of production etc. so that we all fetishise commodities for their
> [...]

New Book by Owen Dempsey:
Anticipation and Medicine: A Critical Analysis of the Science, Praxis and
Perversion of Evidence Based Healthcare
<https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/9781351374866>

Blog:
https://myownprivatemedicine.com/