Thanks Heather - that's really useful and interesting to hear about plans to do faceted searching using DDC.

Yes, we have DDC for all our current theses - although not sure about the future, hence the original email.  How is the best way we could supply them to you?

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: UK discussion list for electronic theses and dissertations [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rosie, Heather
Sent: 30 November 2018 10:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: subject classification of (digitised) thesis on a repository

Hi Chris

We have Dewey Decimal Classification on over 90% of theses in EThOS and we continue to classify new material, although it is very hard to keep pace with the number of new theses awarded each year with our very limited resources.  If you have MARC records with DDC it would be great if you could supply that data to EThOS!  Although  you cannot currently search by Dewey  on our web service, it is our intention to use subject classification to provide faceted searching  in the future.  Dewey is the only controlled subject vocabulary applied consistently to our aggregated thesis collection, largely because we have always used it at the British Library and so it applied to much of the 250,000 catalogue records migrated to  EThOS back in 2009.  It's also the only way we can provide a breakdown of theses by discipline (see attached), so we regard it as very important.

Best wishes
Heather

Heather Rosie
EThOS Repository Metadata Manager.