I don’t think that’s quite true. Your advice is based on materials from the IAPP, which is neither a regulator or the most accurate source of information. Though the ICO isn’t always reliable, their guide to Direct Marketing is clear and I would say rules out this scenario altogether. I think following the regulator’s approach, especially given their enthusiasm for enforcement in this area, is the most sensible approach rather than ‘zero risk’. The risks of choosing IAPP training manuals is admittedly much higher.

Of course, any organisation might decide to say ‘we’ll do this unlawful thing because we’ll probably get away with it’, but that’s a very different conversation.

Tim Turner
2040 Training
www.2040training.co.uk