*The 8th Nordic Geographers Meeting in Trondheim, Norway, June 16 – 19 2019*

*Planning for sustainable urban futures: transgressing the North-South
boundaries in theory and practice*

Many countries in the so-called Global South have a long experience of
participatory processes and action in addressing inequality and
informality. These are also emergent topics in Northern dominated
literature and practice, e.g. in area based initiatives targeting deprived
urban neighbourhoods or in responses within planning towards increasingly
cultural diverse cities. Despite this, much of the theoretical work in
urban scholarship is still firmly located in the experience of
Euro-America, built on a handful of metropolitan cities (Watson, 2009;
Healy, 2011; Parnell and Oldfield, 2014; Robinson and Roy, 2016). There
also continues to be a theoretical divide in planning education and
research between researchers working within Northern contexts and
researchers working with the Global South.

This paper session asks how we can transcend the North-South divides in
urban research, education and practice to find better ways to plan for
sustainable urban futures; Is there still a "Global North" and a “Global
South" to talk about, or are we moving towards a more issue-based inquiry?
What kind of theories and practices can be transferred across contexts, and
what would be the benefit of such North-South dialogues? What are the
methodological implications of the ‘southern’ turn in urban theory in terms
of how we theorise and from where and with whom? To address these
questions, we particularly welcome contributions that discuss urban
upgrading, citizen participation, network governance, and/or informality
from a global perspective.

The session is organized by Hilde N. Rørtveit, Department of Geography,
NTNU; Rolee Aranya and Hilde Refstie, Department of Architecture and
Planning NTNU; and Marianne Millstein, Norwegian Institute for Urban and
Regional Research, OsloMet.

Abstracts can be submitted [log in to unmask] by December 10th
 2018.
Conference web page:https://www.ntnu.edu/geography/ngm-2019