Dear Chan,

Alignment of particles seems to me as a very vague term.
1. Alignment for what? 2D classification?
If that is the case, there are multiple softwares like Relion as you
mentioned. Relion takes a huge computational resources if your dataset is
huge and you don't have any GPU for your calculations.
2. Alignment with respect to what? Are you trying to understand your
dataset for some particular interest? Or trying to focus on some particular
details?

I think in both of the cases IMAGIC holds the most accurate toolsets for
you. You can try this software package (
https://www.imagescience.de/imagic.html) to deal with your dataset. It's
fast and doesn't depend on GPU. And it produces magnificent results for
alignment and for specific interests to deal with difficult dataset. You
can't find this flexibility in other software packages now a days as they
are mostly automated.