Hi,

I'm trying to finish off refinement of a structure I last refined in 2009, but Refmac5 is crashing with very odd problems. I list some relevant lines from the log files below. Essentially refmac seems to think that every residue is a terminal one, as it complains that OXT is missing for every residue in the structure. It also complains that it doesn't recognise NAG residues that worked perfectly fine before. I am using the exact same coordinates that worked with Refmac5 in 2009. What can have changed?

Derek
Derek Logan
Associate Professor, Biochemistry and Structural Biology
Centre for Molecular Protein Science
Lund University, Box 124, 221 00 Lund, Sweden
www.cmps.lu.se

 ------------------------------
  ---  LIBRARY OF MONOMERS   ---
 _lib_name         mon_lib
 _lib_version      5.51
 _lib_update       11/07/18
  ------------------------------
  ------------------------------
  ---  LIBRARY OF MONOMERS   ---
 _lib_name         ?
 _lib_version      ?
 _lib_update       ?
  ------------------------------
  WARNING: duplicated name of monomer 935
           Last entry will be used.
  NUMBER OF MONOMERS IN THE LIBRARY          : 24613
                with complete description    : 24613
  NUMBER OF MODIFICATIONS                    :    71
  NUMBER OF LINKS                            :    77
  I am reading libraries. Please wait.
      - energy parameters
      - monomer"s description (links & mod )
  Number of atoms    :    3107
  Number of residues :     620
  Number of chains   :       8
  I am reading library. Please wait.
                mon_lib.cif
  WARNING : residue: ASP                 1  chain:AAA
            atom: "OXT " is absent in coord_file
  WARNING : residue: THR                 2  chain:AAA
            atom: "OXT " is absent in coord_file
  WARNING : residue: PRO                 3  chain:AAA
            atom: "OXT " is absent in coord_file
  WARNING : residue: ALA                 4  chain:AAA
            atom: "OXT " is absent in coord_file
  WARNING : residue: ASN                 5  chain:AAA
            atom: "OXT " is absent in coord_file
[and so on for every residue in the structure]
[snip]
WARNING : residue: NAG-b-D 604 chain:BaB - is not in the library
  WARNING : monomer looks like 5AX             ;
  WARNING : the program will try to use 5AX
  WARNING : residue: NAG-b-D           604  chain:BaB  - rename
           "NAG-b-D         " --> "5AX             "
[etc.]

For comparison, here is the output from 2009:

------------------------------
  ---  LIBRARY OF MONOMERS   ---
 _lib_name         mon_lib
 _lib_version      4.16
 _lib_update       29/09/08
  ------------------------------
  ------------------------------
  ---  LIBRARY OF MONOMERS   ---
 _lib_name         ?
 _lib_version      ?
 _lib_update       ?
  ------------------------------
  NUMBER OF MONOMERS IN THE LIBRARY          :  2446
                with complete description    :   465
  NUMBER OF MODIFICATIONS                    :    50
  NUMBER OF LINKS                            :    65
  I am reading libraries. Please wait.
      - energy parameters
      - monomer"s description (links & mod )
 [CRYST1 line removed]
  Number of atoms    :    3107
  Number of residues :     620
  Number of chains   :       8
  I am reading library. Please wait.
                mon_lib.cif
  WARNING : residue: NAG       602  chain:Aa
            atom: "O1  " is absent in coord_file
  WARNING : residue: NAG       604  chain:Ba
            atom: "O1  " is absent in coord_file
  WARNING : residue: LEU       439  chain:CC
            atom: "OXT " is absent in coord_file
and very little else