In all seriousness, it looks like it may be some form of hexose sugar?

Tristan Croll
Research Fellow
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research
University of Cambridge CB2 0XY

On 2 Nov 2018, at 21:14, Deborah Harrus <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear all,

I came across an unidentified rabbit-head-shaped blob and would need help for its identification. There are 2 molecules of protein per asymmetric unit but there are some differences between the two chains. The blob is located in between the two chains, and is surrounded by residues Asp, Pro, and Val.

The protein, a glycosyltransferase, was expressed in E. coli BL21(DE3) and purified on Ni-NTA followed by gel filtration. The purification buffer included Sodium phosphate and NaCl. The crystallization condition had Bis-Tris, ammonium acetate and PEG 20000, and glycerol was used as cryoprotectant. From the size, bis-tris was the most probable, but I have tried to fit it and it is not convincing.

The structure is 1.6 angstrom resolution and this is the only thing left to be done, it's driving me crazy!

Pictures attached show the face, bottom and top of the head. 2Fo-Fc is at 1.1 sigma, Fo-Fc at 3 sigmas.

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Regards,
Deborah.

Deborah Harrus, PhD.

University of Oulu / Faculty of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine
Aapistie 7 A, 90220 Oulu
Finland

office: F123B
email: [log in to unmask]
phone: +358 50 3502387 / +358 44 2386351
http://www.oulu.fi/fbmm/node/20603