Dear all,

I confess I have never previously heard of St George’s school and know nothing of their archive collections but here are the benefits which I think they were assuming someone would be attracted to.
“an exciting archival project, with exceptional, unexplored archival material” –
A good solid start, yes, but as someone else said in no way different to any other archive collections. Anywhere. At all.

So what are they offering to suggest we apply?

The school does not appear to offer regular public access to collections at present so there would be every opportunity to get to grips with a collection which sounds as if it has not been properly organised before. The basis of the offer seems to be that the accommodation is a benefit. Is it? A few seconds on a well known search engine led me to www.home.co.uk who say the average current rental in Weybridge for a 1 bedroom property is 922 pcm. Multiply by 12 months = 11064 per year. So that is where one could point to the 11000 figure. It took me 30 seconds but I am sure the school worked it out in detail.

It is also described as an apartment which implies it is larger than a bedsit. Therefore someone would have guaranteed rent free accommodation in a traditionally expensive area and free from the uncertainties of the private sector rental market: such as notice, deposits, rent increases etc. Utilities and council tax may be included or subsidised and insurance is likely to be different (I don’t know).

As accommodation is onsite, there will be no additional commuting costs and the lack of public access hours implies there would be flexibility on hours worked and when. Equally the school is only a few minutes walk from a station so you can get away if you wish meaning you probably wouldn’t need a car (although parking is free if you do have one).

Other benefits? Private healthcare: Par for the course in the private sector I believe. Plus a free lunch if you want it: they charge the pupils 315 pounds a term for that so you could look at that as saving the best part of a grand over 36 weeks a year. If you don’t want to eat it, that’s fine.

Was it reasonable of them to think someone would be attracted to this post? Yes, I think it is likely to think that there is someone among the 5000+ people who read this list whose personal circumstances (career, family etc) are such that this would be an attractive proposition at this time for the reasons suggested.

That is what I think they thought they were offering.
So, why has it attracted such a debate here?

Obviously the salary is eye-wateringly low and is offered the same to qualified and non qualified.

but, as suggested above, they are arguing that this is offset by the value of the accommodation.

However, as others have pointed out, this would prevent the majority of candidates applying. It would be more realistic to offer two salaries: one with the accommodation and one without.

By emphasising the accommodation it would appear they are excluding a significant of potential applicants whose circumstances would not suit relocating to onsite accommodation.

The advert appears to be a standard one with very little about the job: does it say how long the ‘Project’ is intended to last?

Looking at their jobs page, subsidised accommodation seems to be something offered to relocating teachers for their first year. The advert should have clarified the position.

There is no mention of pension but a quick search for other JDs for this school indicate there is a contributory pension scheme.

Finally, if they have sought the advice of ARA (and the phrase ‘members of the ARA’ suggests that the approach was possibly informal, why not take detailed advice on the offer as a whole rather than just the pounds, shillings and pence.

CB

These are my own opinions written in my own time following my long train commute and having not eaten since lunchtime (which I paid for myself.....) etc etc

Chris Bennett
County Archivist
Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies (HALS)
Libraries and Heritage Services
Hertfordshire County Council
Postal Point CHR002 County Hall, Pegs Lane, Hertford SG13 8EJ
Tel 01992 555109 HALS Enquiries 0300 123 4049 Comnet/internal: 25109;
Follow Herts Archives on Twitter Find Herts Libraries on Facebook