Dear all,

I have just received a reply from St George's School. I'll be responding tonight.  Any feedback you would like to give I am happy to include in my response.  For a start the advertisement doesn't say free accommodation, and other than the lunches the 'benefits' are no different from many other organisations!

Wendy

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Human Resources SGW <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 at 15:18
Subject: Project Archivist vacancy
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Wendy,

Many thanks for contacting the College and expressing your concerns. Like you, we care about archival work and we are keen to find the right candidate for this exciting opportunity.

Prior to advertising, you need to be aware that we did take extensive professional advice from members of the ARA. We came to the conclusion that the job, with accommodation in a one bedroom apartment, five weeks holiday, and benefits such as free lunches (not to mention other staff benefits such as Benenden health care) provides an effective salary in the region of £28,000-30,000 pa, and that pre or post qualification is not an unreasonable expectation in return for these benefits, quite apart from the opportunity to work on an exciting archival project, with exceptional, unexplored archival material, in a prestigious and vibrant school environment. The job is an excellent opportunity for a young archivist with some experience, providing the opportunity to interface with professional marketing and development staff, adding new skills to her/his CV.

We have been made aware of the recently published salary guidelines which suggests a starting salary of £27,000 for a qualified archivist. As made clear above with the added benefits our salary offer is closer to this than at first appearance from the advertised £16,000 pa. This position was created as we value our archive and would not only like to gain the benefit of a professional archivist’s help in caring for this and ensuring its preservation, but also wish to provide this exciting opportunity to someone seeking new experience. We do value the professional role of an archivist and are prepared to review this offer in due course with the right candidate.

We hope that this email clarifies not only something of the process we have been through, but also our desire to ensure that someone is rewarded for their work with our archive.

Once again, many thanks for contacting us.

Kind regards,

Human Resources

St George’s Weybridge

01932 839 300 Ext: 3786 | www.stgeorgesweybridge.com

Email Banner 96

P Please consider the environment - only print this email if absolutely necessary