Dear Inés,

                   What is their size, context and possible date range?

Best wishes,

Mark

Sent: 08 November 2018 09:56
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Fwd: Mineral coated fruit?

Dear all

I distributed an email with a pic a couple of weeks ago about a possible mineral coated fruit that I could not identify. At the time I wasn't certain if it was a metal object, but we have x-rayed it and it really looks like a fruit with multiple seeds inside. Now I am not certain if it is a subfossil mineral coated/replaced fruit or an actual fossil fruit, any idea? I've found a few publications of fossils from the London clay that are vaguely similar. As to ID, assuming it is a Holocene plant remain, I've ruled out the Tilia, Fraxinus and possibly Commiphora possibilities (due to size, different numbers of ridges, different number of seeds....). Any further suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for the help!

Inés

Dear all

I have encountered this thing in one of my samples from a possible 16th century wreck and I am not certain if it is a metal object in the shape of a fruit or a mineral coated fruit, any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Inés

To unsubscribe from the ARCHAEOBOTANY list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=ARCHAEOBOTANY&A=1