Hi Dave,

Do you do any video work?

One option would be to inform them that you can no longer encode ProRes
files on your PC, and that this is an essential part of your work.

We work with video files quite a lot, and need to move them between
video editing  and motion graphics applications. ProRes is the perfect
format for this. 'Unfortunately' PC's can't encode ProRes, so we've had
to hang on to our Macs. ;-)

Scott

On 22/11/2018 13:02, Dave Jackson wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> At my place of work these has been a shift to align IT to a single
> platform. Most  (but not all) Staff have been issued with MS Surface
> laptops. This has resulted in my iMac been replaced with a high spec
> Surface as I’m told it has comparable processing power. In practice
> its far from comparable though. Its slower, clunky (tech term) and
> just hangs a lot whilst its fan whistles away. Looking in task manager
> I can see it peaking to if I have say, Lightroom, Photoshop and Bridge
> open, especially with outlook running. It pays me to shut down Outlook
> art least. These are my impressions of the Surface when compared to
> the Mac.
>
> I’m told Adobe products work much better with OSX than Windows, but
> not why that is? Is that actually true?
>
> I’d like to see the return of the mac (Inside joke for Mark Morrison
> fans!) and might be able to make a case for it, but would need to back
> it up with some sort of evidence. So I was interested to see how many
> of you imaging professionals use a Mac and found a free online poll
> maker and I’d be grateful if you could spare a minute to click on
> single button, so I can show some results. I’ve checked it in 2
> browsers and there is no sign up required to answer it, you should
> literally just click on your answer. https://linkto.run/p/ROSMFRS6
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dave.
>
> David Jackson
>
> Digitisation Officer
>
> Licensing and Digitisation
>
> Senate House Library
>
> Malet Street
>
> London
>
> WC1E 7HU
>
> Tel: 0207 8628459
>
> Email: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>
> /"The University of London is an exempt charity in England and Wales.
> We have cut carbon emissions from University buildings by 32% and are
> committed to cutting emissions by 43% by 2020. Please think before you
> print."/

Scott Waby - Head of Digitisation
The National Library of Wales / Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru
Tel: 01970 632542

The opinions expressed herein are the sender's
and do not represent those of The National Library of Wales.

Barn awdur y llythyr a fynegir yma ac nid yw'n
cynrychioli o raid farn y Llyfrgell Genedlaethol.