Marilyne: It is not possible to certainly identify ANY equid from a single tooth. Nor is the “V”-shaped ectoflexid an infallible character even when many loose teeth are available. There are many variables that affect the shape of the enamel bands in the crown, among them the size of the animal to begin with, and the stage of wear of the particular tooth. So I am afraid the best you can really do, until you get a jawbone with all the cheek teeth in it – or better a whole skull – is to say that it is an equine. Sorry to disappoint – Dr. Deb

From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of SALIN Marilyne
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2018 6:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ZOOARCH] Horse or donkey ?

Hi Zooarchers

I’m wondering about a teeth of an equid. The “V” shape of the external fold would presume a donkey but I would like to be sure because it comes from a site of the 1st Iron age in France.

You can see a photo here : http://zooarchaeology.ning.com/forum/topics/horse-or-donkey

Many thanks.

Best regards

Marilyne Salin

Archéologue, Archéozoologue

Service d’archéologie préventive Bourges Plus

9 rue Isaac Newton, Bâtiment 59

18000 Bourges

Tèl : 02 48 65 94 74

To unsubscribe from the ZOOARCH list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=ZOOARCH&A=1