Hi Colin,

Yes. The interaction contrast is still valid [0 0 0 0 1 -1 -1 1].

The only difference between the F- and t-contrasts when there is only 1 row
is that the F-test does not have a direction associated with it. The
F-value is t^2. The significance of the F-test is the same as the two-sided
significance of the t-test.

You can determine if your contrast is testing what you expect by starting
with the null hypothesis and using the null hypothesis to form the contrast.

Multi-row F-contrasts are needed when you have multiple equalities in your
contrast (e.g. H0: A=B=C).

Best Regards,
Donald McLaren, PhD