An interesting topic and I share the views of others on the need to see this in a broader context.  I’ve just co-written an article about ‘Writing SoTL articles for peer-reviewed journals’ in which we emphasise the importance of developing a critical network of colleagues to comment on drafts of articles before submission. I am also a fan of collaborative learning and we should avoid the assessment tail wagging the learning dog.

Tracey, more specifically on the issues you raise, you may find the chapters on ‘Assessment’ and ‘Supervising and Advising’ in Healey et al (2013) useful; and, in a slightly broader context, the discussion of redistributing group marks among individuals in Healey and Addis (2004) of interest.

Best wishes

Mick

2004 Use of peer and self-assessment to distribute group marks among individual team members: Ten years experience, in Healey M and Roberts J (Eds) Engaging students in active learning: case studies in geography, environment and related disciplinesCheltenham: University of Gloucestershire, Geography Discipline Network and School of Environment pp116-121 (Healey M and Addis M)

2013 Developing and enhancing undergraduate final year projects and dissertations. York: HE Academy. (Healey M, Lannin L, Stibbe A and Derounian J) 93pp

Professor Mick Healey BA PhD NTF PFHEA

Higher Education Consultant and Researcher,

Emeritus Professor University of Gloucestershire,
The Humboldt Distinguished Scholar in Research-Based Learning McMaster University,

International Teaching Fellow University College Cork.

Smaller logo V1Inaugural Senior Editor International Journal for Students as Partners. https://mulpress.mcmaster.ca/ijsap;

HE Academy Associate and UKPSF Accreditor.

International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Distinguished Service Award 2015.

1 Cherry Brook Gardens,
Howden,
Goole,
DN14 7FY, UK.

Email: [log in to unmask]; alternative: [log in to unmask];

Website: www.mickhealey.co.uk;

Twitter: mickhealey3

Office/Home: +44 (0)1430 432 947;
Mobile: +44 (0)7952 095 129;
Skype: mick.healey

The 4th McMaster International Students as Partners Institute (ISaPI) will be held at University of Adelaide, Australia from 10-12 July 2019.

Latest publications:

(2018) The role of academic developers in embedding high-impact undergraduate research and inquiry in mainstream higher education: Twenty years’ reflection, International Journal for Academic Development 23(1), 52-64 (Healey, M., & Jenkins, A.)

(2018) Growing partnership communities: What experiences of an international institute suggest about developing student-staff partnership in higher education. Innovations in Education and Teaching International (Marquis, E., Guitman, R., Black, C., Healey, M., Matthews, K. E., & Dvorakova, L. S.)

(2018) Connecting learning, teaching, and research through student-staff partnerships: toward universities as egalitarian learning communities. In V. Tong, A. Standen, A., & M. Sotiriou, (Eds.) Shaping higher education with students: Ways to connect research and teaching (pp.23-29). London: University College of London Press (Matthews. K. E., Cook-Sather. A., & Healey M.)

(2018) Engaging in radical work: Students as partners in academic publishing, Efficiency Exchange (Universities UK and Jisc in partnership with Hefce and the Leadership Foundation) http://www.efficiencyexchange.ac.uk/12775/engaging-radical-work-students-partners-academic-publishing/ (Healey, R. L., Healey, M., & Cliffe, A.)

(2018) “It depends”: Exploring the context-dependent nature of students as partners’ practices and policies. International Journal for Students as Partners, 2(1) https://mulpress.mcmaster.ca/ijsap/article/view/3472 (Healey, M., & Healey, R. L.)

There have been 70,000 downloads of bibliographies and case studies from my website in the last seven years

http://www.mickhealey.co.uk/resources