Dear John,

Might it just  be in the everyday form of “It’s nothing, Dear, - it’s nothing!” ?

Yours, Roger

From: To exchange information and views on the life and work of Rudyard Kipling [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Walker
Sent: 05 October 2018 20:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: It is naught!

Dear Angela, Meredith and Paul,

Very quick and very helpful:

Context does not help much, I'm afraid. JRK is writing to a friend he knew in India, in reply to a letter which we do not have. Combining 'Huzoor' with a misquotation from Proverbs is as far as I had gone, and he has used similar flowery forms of address in this extended correspondence. However, I will admit that I was worried by the variation from 'It is naught, it is naught' (which I have used myself when shopping). Why not 'It is naught, it is naught, Huzoor!'?

Reassured, I shall transcribe as 'Huzoor', and append a note regarding the Biblical and Indian (Arabic) sources..

You are stars, thank you

John

Mailtrack

Sender notified by