From: Tony Brewis
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2018 2:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Mining in Greece

Probably too far south, but I recently saw on TV someone visiting the ancient underground
silver mines of Laurium, somewhere near Athens.
As I would have liked to say to my school headmaster when I asked him to sign a form entering
me for a scholarship to do a course in Mining Engineering at the Royal School of Mines (being a
Classics man, he was very reluctant to do so, thinking that  when working underground I would
be well on my way to Hades)  "Helen might have had the "face to launch a thousand ships" but it
was the silver mines of Laurium which paid for them!
Tony Brewis