Dear all,

I am looking at a post-Reformation poem that nonetheless has some pre-Reformation features. It was used in later times as a sort of catechism. For the record, it was known to an old woman in the account I have (which is one of several).  My question is, what are the 'eight noble blisses' ?  what is normally associated with the number eight?

The queries begin with 'what were twelve?' īthe apostles'.  11? the 11,000 virgins. 10? 10 commandments. 9? the nine choirs of angels.

EIGHT? THE EIGHT NOBLE ( or perhaps NATURAL) BLISSES  (literal translation)

7 gifts of the holy spirit, 6 vessels in Cana in Galilee (presumably containers of the water that were changed into wine)

5 books of Moses, 4 evangelists, 3 patriarchs, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob (I would expect in pre-Reformation times that 3 would have been the trinity)

2 books of Moses, 1 God.

Any suggestions greatfully appreciated!

Meg