From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of David Critchley <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: October 3, 2018 10:23:17 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Representation of the Firmament, and the Waters above the Firmament, in Mediaeval Art

My thanks to all for these useful suggestions.

The Chartres portal is certainly an interesting one: it looks more like a theophany than a disappearance. The angels in the middle register seem very keen to tell us something.

I wonder whether the V shaped frame in which Christ appears is in fact the bottom half of what was once a diamond shape: there appears to be part of the top half remaining on the left and perhaps the beginnings of a return on the right.

I suspect that if we knew who the ten figures (including at least one female - or is it a beardless St John? - or the BVM and nine apostles?) were, we would have the key. Several of them hold books and must be authors, and a couple hold scrolls which were presumably painted with words which would at once identify the holder. There appear to be circles on the back wall of the tympanum behind them, so they must be saints or at least the blessed. The same grouping of ten must surely recur elsewhere, if only in a manuscript illumination that might have acted as a source. Ascension scenes on the other hand seem uniformly to have 14 figures, ie 12 apostles and 2 men in white - yet at Angouleme in the Ascension portal there are only 10 - the same 10 as at Chartres?

Is there any significance in the fact that all twelve months appear in the surround, but only 10 of the signs of the zodiac, with Pisces and Gemini omitted at the apex of the arch? Can we learn anything from the arrangement of the months and the signs of the zodiac? Generally the sequence of either months or signs starts at the bottom of an order, then mounts up to the top, alternating with the other of the months or signs, as it may be, then starts again at the bottom of another order and so on, until all four orders have been populated. September and October seem to have changed places, rather strangely, but otherwise we have summer months on L, winter on R. Is there a connection between the ten signs of the zodiac and the ten human figures?

Frustrating, because the symbolic language used by the designer must have been accessible to his audience, or there would be no point in the exercise.

David Critchley