You are warmly invited to:

THE CENTRE FOR GLOBAL MEDIA AND DEMOCRACY

Goldsmiths, University of London

Public lecture series on

Doing Democracy Differently

Democratising local economies: 29 November, 5-7pm, PSH 326

Few believe that the old neo-liberal economic models are fit for the future. So how do we do economics differently and what does this mean for democratic practices? What is a citizens or solidarity economy? How might co-ownership and co-production work in the places that we live? The future is ours – come and find out what it might look like.

Andrew Cumbers, Glasgow University (author of Reclaiming Public Ownership: Making Space for Economic Democracy, 2012).

Fran Jones (Associate Director, Centre for Local Economic Strategies)

Media co-operatives and platform politics: 14 March, 5-7pm, PSH 326

Corporate dominance by digital giants rules the internet as we know it. But what if our online platforms were member owned and democratically governed? What does a collaborative, sustainable economy look like online, how would it change the media and how can we make it happen?

Nathan Schneider, University of Boulder Colorado (author of Everything for Everyone: The Radical Tradition that is Shaping the Next Economy, 2018)

Vanessa Baird, Co-Editor, New Internationalist (a leading independent media organisation that is a multi-stakeholder co-operative co-owned by its workers and 3,600 investors)

The University as Co-operative: 23 May, 5-7pm, PSH 314

The privatisation and marketization of Higher Education has turned the University into a factory. Soaring student debt, increasing numbers of staff on precarious contracts and out-sourced support services on dismal conditions of contract are destroying universities. How do we reclaim higher education for the public good?

Cilla Ross, Co-operative College, Manchester (working towards establishing a Co-operative University)

Davydd J. Greenwood, Cornell University, New York (co-author with Morten Levin of Creating a New Public University and Reviving Democracy: Action Research in Higher Education, 2016)

All lectures are FREE and open to everyone. Please come!

Natalie

Natalie Fenton
Professor of Media and Communications
Department of Media, Communications and Cultural Studies
Co-Director Goldsmiths Leverhulme Media Research Centre
Co-Director Centre for the Study of Global Media and Democracy
Goldsmiths, University of London
New Cross
London SE14 6NW
T: +44(0)20 7919 7620
http://www.gold.ac.uk/media-communications/staff/n-fenton/

Latest book: Digital, Political, Radical (Polity):

http://politybooks.com/bookdetail/?isbn=9780745650869