Dear All,

We are looking at improving the activity of roaming/roving throughout the day ( dedicated staff walking around the main area of the library to answer queries/assist users) as we don't want this time to be concentrated on noise patrolling. I was wondering if many other libraries have staff engaged in this activity? If so any tips/ideas/information relating to this activity would be gratefully received. In particular,

*         What activities do your roving staff do?

*         Are your roving staff mobile, or do they base themselves at particular points?

*         Do you carry this activity out throughout the day or just peak times?

*         Do you find this activity a useful addition to your service

I look forward to any/all of your responses, and are happy to share these with everyone!

Many thanks,

Ann Waitman

Library Customer Care Co-ordinator

Library, Academic Services