Hi Karen,

It’s very true that, as Jenni says, the sector is really struggling with the issue of admission charges, with lots of passionate practitioners looking for solutions.  Many independent and local authority museums have had such drastic cuts that they have faced closure, and so becoming free or very low cost is sadly not really an option for now.

However, I wouldn’t be too disheartened about the state of accessibility in the sector.  Many local museums have systems like postcode-based discounts/free entry or affordable year-long memberships to reduce the barrier to locals.  There has also been much research suggesting that free entry encourages more repeat visits from “traditional” museum goers, rather than a greater diversity of visitors.  In response to the cuts to the sector and the pressures on communities, Gemmers and the wider sector have been doing some amazing work to tackle the more deep-seated barriers to inclusion.  I really feel that, despite very valid concerns over pay entry, the conversation is more advanced than it has ever been and the work in accessibility in the UK is really cutting edge.  Co-production, sharing ownership, and designing for easy access are rapidly on the rise and more and more guidance is being produced for smaller museums to make manageable steps.  The cuts have hit the sector and audiences hard and your concerns are absolutely right!  But I have been really inspired by how the sector has taken the current situation and used it to really scrutinise who we were engaging, who we were missing and how we can find lasting solutions collaboratively.  If you want to talk more about this, there are a number of case studies I could chat to you about, please don’t hesitate to ring the GEM office on 01634 853 424 or email me [log in to unmask] anytime.

Thanks for getting in touch, I hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday, despite this disappointment!

Very best wishes,

Holly

Holly Bee

Education Officer, GEM

www.gem.org.uk, +44 (0) 1634 853424

Visit the GEM website to find out about our training, networking and resources!