Hi Michelle,

The [1 1 1 0 0] would be the mean, considering the group differences and cov1 and cov2 as nuisance. It's an unusual behavior that you identify. It doesn't seem impossible but very unlikely, unless some of the significant results you saw earlier were in the negative direction (you may have found that with an F-test), or if they didn't match the same regions in the brain, or if you used spatial statistics (such as cluster extent).

Or there's an error in the interpretation of the other results...

All the best,

Anderson