Hi Julian,

The within-subject variability is usually much smaller than the between-subject variability such that, although there can be differences in results (with more power where these lower-level are considered), usually we don't see massive differences (as in "robust activations" you mention). FEAT doesn't see the between-subjects dependencies in the case of twins/relatives, and if there are many such pairs in the sample, false positives will be inflated (this isn't a problem with FEAT, it's just how the GLM works, and would happen even in a permutation test that didn't consider these dependencies).

All the best,

Anderson