I appreciate the feedback on the fslinstaller problem with SSL certificates. At least I know more now!  The problem persists this morning.

Thanks,

Dianne

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 9:17 AM Tim Schäfer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
The error means that the verification of the SSL certificate of the server your are downloading FSL from failed. The SSL certificate ensures that a secure connection (HTTPS) can be established.

Maybe you can try another mirror somehow. It does not seem that trivial from looking at the code of fslinstaller.py though. The list of mirrors is retrieved from a web service (line 1043).

It's hard to tell what exactly is causing the error as no line is given. But my guess is the following: When the mirrors are tried later, failing ones are skipped for some error types (e.g., in lines 1069 and 1071), but not for SSL errors it seems. Looks like a bug in the installer to me. It should just try the next mirror when certificate validation fails for one of them.

Tim

> [...]
> problem:
> Suggestions appreciated.
> Thanks,
>
> Dianne
>
> dpat@Saci:/Volumes/Main/Users/dpat/Downloads% python fslinstaller.py
> --- FSL Installer - Version 3.0.12 ---
> [Warning] Some operations of the installer require administative rights,
>     for example installing into the default folder of /usr/local.
>     If your account is an 'Administrator' (you have 'sudo' rights)
>     then you will be prompted for your administrator password
>     when necessary.
> When asked a question, the default answer is given in square brackets.
> Hit the Enter key to accept this default answer.
> [FAILED] [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed
> (_ssl.c:726)
>
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 8:16 AM Matthew Webster <
> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > FSL 6.0.0 has been released. This version has major changes to the
> > lower-level image and matrix libraries to improve capabilities and
> > performance for larger data sets.
> >
> > * EDDY_QC performs automated dMRI data assessment, both at the single
> > subject and group levels
> > * FSLEyes: Now includes Jupyter notebook integration, maximum-intensity
> > projection and a new plugin architecture.
> > * FSLpy includes wrappers for certain FSL commands.
> > * The HCP1065 standard space DTI templates have been added
> > * fsl_ents is a tool for extracting component timeseries from an ICA
> > directory ( e.g using the output from FIX )
> > * The version of eddy is the same as in 5.0.11. A new version of eddy will
> > be released with FSL 6.0.1
> > * Tools are now NIFTI-2 capable, although this should currently be
> > regarded as beta-functionality.
> > * This also includes the latest versions of tools introduced since the
> > last major update:
> > * MIST: a tool for multi-model cortical segmentation.
> > * MSM: a tool for cortical surface registration.
> > * BIANCA: A tool for automatic ( trained ) segmentation of white-matter
> > hyperintensities.
> >
> > The full distribution can be downloaded from
> >
> > http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/fsldownloads/
> >
> > either by the installer script or direct download. If you already have FSL
> > installed, the installer script will backup the existing version as part of
> > the install process.
> >
> > --------------------------------
> > Dr Matthew Webster
> > FMRIB Centre
> > John Radcliffe Hospital
> > University of Oxford

> --
> Dianne Patterson, Ph.D.
> Research Scientist
> [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
> or
> University of Arizona
> Speech and Hearing Science 314
> 1131 E 2nd Street, Building #71
> (Just East of Harvill)
> If you don't hear back from me (and you expected to),
> I blame the University's new SPAM filter.

Dr. Tim Schäfer
Postdoc Computational Neuroimaging
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Psychosomatics and Psychotherapy
University Hospital Frankfurt, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main, Germany

Dianne Patterson, Ph.D.
Research Scientist