I'm surprised that there hasn't been more of a fuss about the announcement of this change, on this forum and elsewhere. My concern is that the justification for this change seems to be - you need to read whether you're in HE or not, so visual stress isn't only study related and therefore isn’t fundable through DSA. If you extend this argument, why would DSA fund text-to-speech software, low vision magnifiers, ergonomic chairs, mice and keyboards? Much of what has been funded by DSA has been predicated on the fact that HE students need to do (much) more of certain activities as part of their studies but not that these activities are uniquely found in HE study. I spy the thin end of a dangerous wedge!

Phil Satchell
Assessment Centre Manager
Student Based Services
University House A47
Lancaster University
LA1 4YW

Tel: 01524 592753
Email: [log in to unmask]

To unsubscribe from the DIS-FORUM list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=DIS-FORUM&A=1