On reviewing this thread I was struck again by Dan's comment: "In my defence: although the language used is technically correct, it's still fairly common to refer to the processing condition (lawful basis) as the legal basis.  I suppose it didn’t ought to be. "

The problem is that it is - officially.  We cannot really make that distinction consistently. Granted recitals 40 and 41 appear to make a distinction but the elephant is that Art 13(1)(c) and Art 14(1)(c) both use "legal basis" and it appears to be common ground that this means the lawful ground under Article 6.

ICO Checklist on Art 13 actually says you must give "The lawful basis for the processing" when GDPR says "legal basis".

On the other hand the EU DP Handbook consistently refers to the Art 6 conditions as "legal basis" e.g. "No additional legal basis, such as consent of the data subjects, is needed", "any new purpose of processing will require a separate new legal basis." etc. etc. etc.

So "legal basis" IS technically correct usage for the processing condition. It can mean two different things depending on context - the lawful basis under Art 6(1) or the specific law under Art 6(3). We can try to follow ICO by using "lawful basis" for the first but  no surprises when we get to cross purposes when both meanings are used in the same question.

All user commands can be found at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/subscribers/subscribercommands.html