Dear all,
I am working on a protein complex. After many efforts, I obtained crystals
from one of the refinement screen (which took few weeks to grow) and I got
a 3 Å dataset at synchrotron. I scaled the dataset in P21 spacegroup (which
is also confirmed by Zanuda and Pointless). There is no twinning detected.
I solved the phase using molecular replacement with a model of over 90%
sequence identity. After several rounds of refinement with Refmac, the
Rfree is 0.307 and Rfactor of 0.23.
The density looks good and I can see everything that's important. But one
of the proteins has missing density in 2 of its beta strands (corresponding
to ~15%) and its not appearing upon several rounds of refinement. Also, the
B factors are higher for this protein. The missing beta strands are not at
the interface of the complex.
I ran some crystals on the gel and did silver staining to find both the
proteins and no degradation products. I doubt that there is any proteolytic
cleavage because the protein is unlikely to remain folded if those beta
strands are chopped out.
I want to ask if such a structure with missing density and high B-factors
(>100) can be deposited. Is it possible that some parts of the lattice
don't have this protein with missing density which is resulting in high B
factors?
I would appreciate your efforts if someone can send me few references
describing such type of structures. I would also welcome any other
suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks and regards,
Deepanshu