His writings are a lot like his paintings….

On Oct 7, 2018, at 5:46 AM, Tim Allen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Always liked Sam Francis paintings a lot. Would love to see his writingsetc.

Cheers

Tim

On 6 Oct 2018, at 18:03, Jaime Robles wrote:

I’m currently doing a selection of writings from the journals of abstract-expressionist painter Sam Francis. A wide reader with an unsystematic and exuberant approach to knowledge, Sam would often include other writings in his journals, written rather haphazardly among other writings, both his and others'. At the head of one of his poems he has written:

A Thing Comes
later filled with you
it lifts to the mouth
out of the fragments
madness arises
watching my hand
draw the only circle

It’s followed by Paul Celan, but it’s unclear if it’s Celan’s poem or something Sam has written in response to Celan, and so far I haven’t found it in Celan’s writing in my searches. It may be Sam’s translation, which complicates things. Celan readers on this list: Does anyone recognize this, or know of a poem in the original that resembles it?

Fishing in the cosmos.

Thanks ever,

Jaime

To unsubscribe from the BRITISH-IRISH-POETS list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=BRITISH-IRISH-POETS&A=1