From: The Black and Asian Studies Association <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Grace Quansah <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 29 October 2018 22:01
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: History, Herstory & Our Story: Black British Experience Past, Present & Future

Greetings All,

I hope you have enjoyed the half-term break if it applies

On June 22nd this year Britain celebrated the 70th anniversary of Windrush (‘Windrush Day’). The arrival of around 500 migrants from the Caribbean at Tilbury Docks in Essex in 1948, is often said to be the start of multi-cultural Britain. Those on board came from Jamaica, Bermuda, England, Trinidad and Mexico (Polish refugees living in Mexico!): https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43808007.
[https://www.bing.com/th?id=OVP.We5xexw_ZHJhsdRyFA9VNQEsCo&pid=Api]<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43808007>

What was life like on-board the Windrush?<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43808007>
The Empire Windrush ship arrived in England on 21 June 1948 carrying hundreds of passengers from the Caribbean, among others. What do we know about them?
www.bbc.co.uk

The truth is, Britain and London, have been ‘multi-racial’ and ‘multicultural’ since Roman times. DNA evidence and archaeological finds support this view: https://londonist.com/2015/11/london-was-always-a-multicultural-city-scientists-confirm
[https://assets.londonist.com/uploads/2015/11/i875/roman_woman.jpg]<https://londonist.com/2015/11/london-was-always-a-multicultural-city-scientists-confirm>

London Was Always A Multicultural City, Scientists Confirm ...<https://londonist.com/2015/11/london-was-always-a-multicultural-city-scientists-confirm>
The skeleton of the Harper Road woman. (c) Museum of London London has been a multicultural city since its earliest days as a Roman city, according to new cutting-edge DNA research just published ...
londonist.com

Young people (ages 4-8) and families, please join Akuba, Saturday 3rd November (2-4 pm) to travel back in time with her (for a WAPPY presentation) aided by storytelling, poetry, cultural props and visuals. I will launch new poem that embraces the presence and contributions of African-descended men and women in Britain from ancient, Medieval, Victorian, Edwardian, Windrush and modern times!!

This workshop supports the GCSE OCR Migrants to Britain/History course, though anyone interested in social studies and history/black history should find it relevant.

See the attached poster for more details. : Booking is necessary as space is limited. Contact Acton Library: 0203 700 1056.

On a related note, if you were not able to open my Marcus Garvey poem due to me sending an incorrect link then here is the correct one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIb5q2Q7MF0.  Feedback from Benjamin Zephaniah:

"Dear Grace,

 I just saw your Marcus Garvey piece. I thought I knew everything about him but I didn't know the story about his white play friend. Well done. It's an epic...."

Benjamin Zephaniah

[https://www.bing.com/th?id=OVF.YJ5lI5QtJ2WX8IjTWPecgw&pid=Api] <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIb5q2Q7MF0>

Marcus Mosiah Garvey Jamaica's Favourite Son by Akuba 2018<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIb5q2Q7MF0>
Two important reasons why I created this audio-visual poetic tribute for the memory of Marcus Garvey. First, my late father who passed away when I was 14 years old ...
www.youtube.com

Please circulated if you so wish.

Many thanks,

Grace

Grace Quansah (Akuba)

Writing, Acting and Publishing Project for Youngsters
WAPPY
Mob: 07877 653631<tel:07877%20653631>

Email: mailto:[log in to unmask]
Web Site: http://www.wappy.org.uk/
Registered Company No: 08585040<tel:08585040>
https://www.facebook.com/wappyworks/

[cid:c4739408-f9e0-448b-9ea6-8b5aa765c25e]