Hi

Children also need to learn that  all history is not so far removed from them in terms of space, place and time.  A key stage two pupil came into the library were I work for books to help her with holiday homework (I was pleased that she'd though of coming to the library to use books instead of going straight to the internet. Her class had been set the task of finding out about one of three women:

    Harriet Tubman
    Phillis Wheatley
    Charlotte Ray

The young girl had chosen Charlotte Ray. When I asked her why, she said because she was the only one who wasn't about slavery. This really had a profound impact on me and made me reflect on the reasons why Black History Month was initiated in Britain in the first place. Though I'm not against the teaching of the atrocities of the enslavement of Africans to children I also wondered why there is so much focus on this, as well as so much focus on African-American aspects of history. There is so much richness and wealth in the history of Africa and descendants of Africa which includes the history of Africans in Britain right up to the present. I would love to do a sessions for teachers on teaching history which inspires rather than extinguishes a love of history!

Best wishes

Amma