Post title: Archivist (Trainee) / Archivist (Qualified)

Location: Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre, Elgin Hostel, Dunvegan Road, Portree

Hours: 35 hours per week, permanent

Salary: £19,856- £22,349 (HC05) / £25,808- £29,084 (HC07)

Closing Date: 23/11/2018

Interview Date: 12/12/2018

High Life Highland is seeking an enthusiastic and committed individual to deliver a high quality public archive service, based at our Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre in Portree.  You will be responsible for looking after our extensive archive collections, which date from the 17th century, as well as managing staff and volunteers and liaising with a wide variety of stakeholders.  You will oversee the smooth running of the archive searchroom, contribute to our community engagement and schools activities programmes and continue to improve and develop our archive collections, catalogues and finding aids. If you have an interest in local and family history and are committed to developing your skills in a large and diverse organisation, this could be the opportunity for you.

We realise the ‘right’ person may not currently have a recognised qualification in archives and records management; hence we are offering different routes into the post.

Those without the recognised qualification can join us as an Archivist (Trainee) at HC05 grade and we will support you to gain the professional qualification through a recognised postgraduate course (part-time distance learning).

This will require commitment on your part as well as input from us. While studying up to 15 hours per week you will work at the Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre, developing your practical skills and putting your learning into practice. When you qualify you will automatically move to an HC07 grade, whilst staying in the job you have developed and love.

To join us at this point you will need to be educated to degree level, have good oral and written communication skills, the willingness to use dedicated archives software as well a firm intention to pursue a career in Archive and Records Management by undertaking professional training on a recognised training programme.

If you already have a recognised qualification in archives and records management, you will automatically join us at HC07.

Both routes require a driving licence and/or access to personal transport.

Closing date – 23/11/2018

For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Alison Mason, Highland Archivist on 01463 256427

An application pack can be downloaded from our website. www.highlifehighland.com/about/recruitment

Fiona MacLeod – Senior Archivist

High Life Highland | Highland Archive Centre | Bught Road | Inverness | IV3 5SS

T: 01463 256428

E: [log in to unmask]

W: https://www.highlifehighland.com/archives-service/

Highlife 2

High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593. For more information about High Life Highland, please visit www.highlifehighland.com.

Unless related to the business of High Life Highland, the views or opinions expressed within this e-mail are those of the sender and do not necessarily reflect those of High Life Highland, or associated bodies, nor does this e-mail form part of any contract unless so stated.

Mura h-eil na beachdan a tha air an cur an cèill sa phost-d seo a' buntainn ri gnothachas High Life na Gàidhealtachd, 's ann leis an neach fhèin a chuir air falbh e a tha iad, is chan eil iad an-còmhnaidh a' riochdachadh beachdan High Life na Gàidhealtachd, no buidhnean buntainneach, agus chan eil am post-d seo na phàirt de chunnradh sam bith mura h-eil sin air innse.