I have been re-collecting the missing elements of the late Tom Brady’s collection of glassy slag from the Virginia charcoal era iron furnaces. I would be happy to help.

However, the date is a bit out of the norm. I am also aware of the various claims about what is essentially prehistoric iron smelting, all of which have thus far been disproved and/or shown to be early European colonization efforts and not blast furnaces. The first New World blast furnace was at Falling Creek, VA (www.fallingcreekironworks.org) and that was possibly started in 1619 but certainly was completed in 1621 and was subsequently obliterated by the Powhatans on March 22, 1622.

Proof of smelting or even ironworking depends not upon dating methods, but upon stratigraphic analysis. To date, that is not only lacking, but non-existent. However, if there’s just one site, I do wonder why such a superior metal didn’t take over as elsewhere happened.

Lyle Browning, RPA